Basarhallene (The bazaar halls) are located behind the Oslo Cathedral. Original as butcher shops, they were built during the period 1841-1858.
Basarhallene acts like a “green lung” in-between hectic streets in the city center.
Today it houses little shops with arts, craft, and antiques as well as restaurants and cafès
Oslos tiny Cathedral was first consecrated in 1697, and in 1950 it was restored back to its original baroque interior.
The pulpit, altarpiece and organ front with acanthus carvings are all originals. Oslo Cathedral contains both objects and pieces from the to former cathedrals in Oslo
The devil of Oslo. This stone carving is the church’s oldest heirloom. It was made around 1100 and its origin is believed to be Hallvardskirken (Hallvards church). It shows a human being attacked by a dragon and a lion.
The bronze doors with decorations were made in 1938.
The following days of the Oslo attack in Oslo and on Utøya July 22nd, 2011 a sea of roses grew in front of the Oslo Cathedral and in the streets. The two artists Tobbe Malm and Tone Mørk Karlsrud was deeply moved and inspired by this and started The IronRoses project. They invited blacksmiths all over the world to forge iron roses and send them to Norway. Over the years many blacksmiths came personally to present their roses.
Survivors and others affected were invited to Tobbes workshop to forge their own roses. The final work consisting of 1000 roses are assembled into a sculpture, as a symbol of engagement and solidarity. The project has now found its place in the Cathedral Park close to where the original roses sea was.
Link to The IronRose project: https://www.jernrosene.no/english
The Grey Lady at Ladegården. According to rumors, the Grey Lady is supposedly the ghost of Karen Toller who ordered the construction of the main house in 1725.