The medieval town had six churches – including St. Mary`s Church, Old Aker Church, and St. Hallvard’s Cathedral
St. Hallvardskatedralen (St. Hallvards Cathedral)
A grand church dedicated to Oslo’s patron saint, built around the year 1070 AD. St. Hallvard’s Cathedral was used as a church until about 1655. Besides being the bishop’s seat and religious centre of eastern Norway for about 500 years, the cathedral was the coronation church, royal wedding church, chapel royal, and one of Scandinavia’s most visited places of pilgrimage.
643 km to Nidaros (Trondheim):
The St. Hallvard Cathedral was built in a Romanesque basilica style. The interior featured two rows of columns, a transept, and a central transept tower. It probably was very similar to the Old Aker Church.
The site is located between Bispegata and St. Halvards gate. Erected on a plain near the highest point of the Medieval city, the cathedral occupied a majestic position.
In 1130 Sigurd I Magnusson (1090 – 26 March 1130) also known as Sigurd Jorsalfar (Sigurd the Crusader) was buried in the cathedrals southern wall. Sigurd was King of Norway from 1103 to 1130. His rule, together with his half-brother Øystein (until Øystein died in 1123), has been regarded by historians as a golden age for the medieval Kingdom of Norway. He is otherwise famous for leading the Norwegian Crusade (1107–1110), to support the newly established Kingdom of Jerusalem, earning the eponym “the Crusader”. He was the first European king to personally participate in a crusade.
The cathedral fell into disrepair in the 17th century and the last remnants of the building were demolished around 1780. Stones from the church was used for various construction projects around the city, including the Akershus fortress.
The park and the lake
At the lake, the Oslo fjord shoreline is reconstructed as it appeared in the Middle Ages (about the year 1300). It also marks Alnaelvens (river) original outlet. In connection with the construction of a new railway, the river will again be led into its original race (probably around 2021).
The National Heritage board has suggested that the water be expanded northwards to also include the northern part of the Middelage Park
Kongsgården (The Royal estate)
Unfortunately, due to construction work close by we were unable to photograph all of the ruins.
The oldest part of the ruins is barricading walls date to the year 1040-1060 and one or more wooden buildings. The estate was located close to St. Mary`s Church and later expanded into a castle-like structure with towers. The first Royal estate was built in wood which burned down in 1223. The rebuild was made of stone and bricks.
The location of the estate played a significant role when King Haakon V decided to gradually move the capital of Norway from Bergen to Oslo. The King’s residence was a citadel, dwelling and meeting place for the King and his men when they whore in Oslo
The estate eventually lost its status and role as a regional administrative centre of Akershus Fortress and became the canon`s residence from the 1300s up until the 1500s
The history of Oslo begins in the Middle Ages; the first town-like settlement probably appeared around the year 1,000 AD. The medieval town was located below the Ekeberg hills, on the east side of the Bjørvika inlet, in the area today called Gamlebyen (Old Town).
The park was built in 2000 in Sørenga, Gamlebyen (The Old Town). It is located within the Medieval Park area, which also includes the Memorial Park and Ladegården on the north side of Bispegata. In this area, development is not allowed due to the ruins and plenty of cultural remains in the underground.
St. Mary`s Church ( From the early 1100s to 1542):
Excavations were first conducted in 1867 and later in the 1960s
St Mary`s was one of the most beautiful churches in Norway in 1300. Located immediately adjacent to the King`s Residence, St. Mary`s was a royal chapel.
Remains of two people, deemed to be King Haakon V (died 1319) and his Queen consort Euphemia of Rügen, were discovered during excavations of the ruins of the church and re-interred in the Royal Mausoleum in Akershus Castle
Traces of an older wooden structure (a stave church) built in about 1050, were discovered. Logs are placed in the ruins to mark the traces. The stave church was replaced by a stone church in about 1100.
About 1300s under the rule of Haakon V, the church was rebuilt in brick. There was a fire in the church in 1523, and by 1542 it was so dilapidated that it could no longer be repaired
A reconstruction suggestion on how St. Marys looked like (the year 1300) based on the excavations:
Christian Radich was built in 1937 as a sail training ship and is one of Norway’s well-known sailing ambassadors. When merchant and captain Christian Radich died in 1889, he left by will 90.000 Norwegian Kroner to the building of a new school ship for Oslo. His only condition was that the ship should carry his name. The sailing ship was built nearly 50 years later at the Framnæs Yard in Norway.
Christian Radich is a school ship for maritime students in winter and during the summer period, the ship offers voyages for school classes, arrangements for companies and private parties. Christian Radich participates in the Tall Ships’ Races and large sail events in various European ports.
The vessel is a full-rigged three-masted steel hull, with an overall length of 73 m including the bowsprit and a maximum width of 9.7 m. She has a draught of about 4.7 meters and a displacement at full load of 1050 tons. Under engine power, Christian Radich reaches a top speed of 10 knots, while she can make up to 14 knots under sail.
Christian Radich has 27 sails and a crew about 15-20 persons, its homeport is in Oslo
The orlops (dormitories) has a capacity for berthing maximum of 80 students.